Thursday 30 October 2008

CRYSTALS

I've always liked certain crystals and gemstones. When I was pre-teen I loved rainbow moonstone and had a necklace which had a piece of this in it....... along the way I was drawn to other pieces too. Back then, and for many years afterwards, I was totally ignorant of the fact that crystals and gemstones could be used for anything other than decorative purposes.

So when did I first start to develop a deeper interest? Well...... I'd gradually been picking up various bits of information, almost by osmosis, over the intervening years whilst, at the same time, questioning more and more of the Protestant indoctrinations I'd received as a child. Then, back in early 2003, I was trawling eBay (as you do) when I spotted all the gems and crystals on there, which then led me to a seller called gaia33. Each of her entries had lots of info on the qualities and usages of the gem and crystal items she was selling and a tiny little light bulb went off in my head.


The first piece I was drawn to and bought for its healing properties was a little green aventurine point pendant (see pic): I'd recently recognised that I was suffering from agoraphobia and panic attacks and needed to tackle them somehow; green aventurine is a good stress reliever, a balancer of male/female energy, promotes mental and emotional well being and wards off anxiety and fear, among other things. Very shortly after buying this piece my Mum was rushed into hospital, where her heart condition was finally recognised and diagnosed. I wore the pendant to each hospital visit.

How do I know it worked/helped? I was agoraphobic, suffered from panic attacks and loathed hospitals but I got to her and back home every visit without a single panic attack in sight. After the first time I wore it, on the first visit to see her, I took it off after getting home and the crystal was so hot to the touch I had to drop it - yet it hadn't burnt where it laid on my skin whilst I was wearing it nor had I been aware of it being hot. It was proof enough for me and from then on I not only continued to tackle the agoraphobia etc but had a deep interest in the positive healing powers of gems and crystals and from then on have actively researched it and regularly used them.

The other piece in the above pic is a smokey quartz tumblestone. It has a multitude of uses, among which: it's a really good stress reliever and helps with fortifying resolve and tolerating difficult times, helps to ground you (so good to hold during meditation) and is a good protective stone. This was also one of my earliest buys and initially I just carried it in my pocket (for protection) but went on to use it as a worry stone - a distraction technique and part of my coping strategy when I am out and about and finding any situation a little difficult, with the potential to trigger a panic attack. It is a lovely, tactile piece that also has a nice "feel" to its energy, and is the ideal size for rolling in my hand - I concentrate on it, taking my attention away from whatever is upsetting me, and my breathing automatically slows and I become calmer and feel better able to cope. It's also discreet - you can practice this technique anywhere and no one is the wiser. :0)


This is one of the books I use for reference. It has lots of clear pics in it, so is useful for identifying any crystals you've put away but forgotten to name (why do I keep doing that!) or aren't overly familiar with. I picked up my copy from The Magick Thread stall at a Mind, Body and Spirit event.


In the listing for each piece it gives details of each crystal's/gem's colour, appearance, rarity and source/s. Further headings are: Attributes - the problems it can help with; Healing - which areas it can help; Position - where to place it for the desired help/relief; Specific Colours - some crystals/gems can come in different colours to the main one, so it gives details of them and their uses as they can sometimes differ.



This book is a recent acquisition. I popped into the local Hospice Bookshop on Wednesday morning and was absolutely gobsmacked to find this copy of Melody's book in the Non-Fiction section. I'm amazed anyone would want to part with this, as it can be difficult to get hold of and is a little expensive to buy new, but I am so glad they did. I've lusted after a copy of this since first hearing about it and I'm still smiling at getting it for the grand total of £2.00. :0)

The timings etc that occured for me to get my hot mitts on this little beauty also make me smile in gratitude for receiving a helping hand from the Universe. :0)

There are no pictures at all in here but what it does have is the most in-depth, all inclusive information of just about every crystal and gemstone produced by Mother Earth and of the properties they hold. A fantastic reference book to have on my shelf. :0)

There is so much more I could write on this subject but I think I'd better call that it for now. If any of my wafflings, whatever they are about, ever have you curious to want to know more or if you have any questions, then please don't hesitate to let me know via the Comments area on this blog. If I can help in any way I can I will - though if I feel it is too personal/intrusive I reserve the right not to do so.

Blessings

2 comments:

jane said...

Really interesting Karan, I have recently begun to think that my panic attacks, though mild are agoraphobic in origin (I think this because I recently discovered that the definition of agoraphobia is not what I thought it was!) Interestingly my favourite pendant is a piece of aventurine which I do find gives me confidence.

Valerie said...

I have both of those books and just love them! Glad to hear that the stone helped you.